Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Caramel Popcorn!

So I had been craving caramel corn for a few weeks now, so I pulled out the family recipe and gave it a try. It was my first time making it on my own. It was pretty easy, and so good I ended up making 2 batches that day.
 
Here is the recipe for those of you curious to try. It is really easy and delicious.
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 lb (2 sticks) margarine
  • 1/2 cup Karo white corn syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp salt
  •  1 tsp Baking soda

Here is the ingredient line up. Any popcorn you want to cook is fine. I figured out it was something like 12 cups of popcorn. However, I just did 1 & 3/4 batches in the air popper (3/4 cups uncooked popcorn) and it was perfect.


 I used my sister's Presto Air Popper and it was perfect for cooking the popcorn fast and with no butter or salt. The caramel is enough extra goodness for one recipe.

 I just really was impressed by the air popper. Ha, I don't eat a lot of popcorn but it is cool! I cooked my popcorn before I put the caramel sauce on the stove. Easier that way.

 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the brown sugar and Karo. Combine well.

 Boil this for 5 minutes. be sure to stay near by. It will need almost constant stirring to keep it from burning/sticking on the bottom. After the 5 minutes is up, take it off the heat and add the vanilla, salt and baking soda. Stir! It will bubble up because of the B. soda. Don't be alarmed.

 Put the popcorn on baking sheets, I use 2 so it can be spread out. Then pour the caramel goodness on the popcorn. Stir it until it is well coated and place in a 250 degree oven for 40 minutes. Stir a couple time during the 40 min. to keep the popcorn coated and prevent burning.

When the popcorn is done, let it cool for 5-10 minutes and scrap off the pan into a bowl.
ENJOY! This stuff goes fast in my house! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment