Sunday, April 22, 2012

[Crock Pot] Pasta Sauce

This recipe is long overdue. We made a huge batch of pasta sauce a little while ago for a neighborhood get-together. I didn't expect to like it so much. And we had a lot left over. We froze it in batches and it is almost better the second time! =) You can make a large batch like me or a smaller one.

You will need:

  • Tomato Paste (Large: x3, Small: x1)
  • Diced Tomatoes (Large: x6, Small: x3 or 2)
  • Tomato Sauce (Large: x3, Small: x1)
  • Garlic
  • Onion

I used a variety. The diced tomatoes can be seasoned. We used Italian and a Garlic blend I think.

The trusty crock pot. Use the liners if you have them! 

Chop up your onion. The amount is to your discretion. I think I used half an onion.

Chop or mince the garlic. Again to your discretion. For the L batch I used 3 or 4 I think.
Saute the garlic and onion in a pan with some olive oil. Let the onions soften up.


My hand felt pretty beastly after opening all those cans! Add all the cans, onion and garlic to the crock pot. I also added a little bit of water (half to one of the 'tomato paste cans' worth of water). Stir well.

This needs to cook on low for 4-8 hours. The longer it heats the better the flavors will mix. Make sure to stir it occasionally. This sauce is chunky and so delicious on pasta or as a pizza sauce!

As I mentioned, I recommend making the large batch and freeze any leftover sauce. It is great to have already made later! 
Enjoy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment