Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Semi-Homemade Poptarts

So I was really bored before moving a couple weeks ago and decided to whip up some poptarts. I call them semi-homemade because I was a little on the lazy side and used store-bought pie crust dough. I want to try them again with a homemade recipe for pie crust.

But again, the way I made these was super simple, and you may even have the ingredients laying around your kitchen!

You will need:
  • Pie crust dough 
  • Sugar
  • Jelly or preserves
  • Cornstartch
  • Powdered Sugar
  • Splash of Milk
  • Sprinkles (if wanted)
Unroll (or roll out) your dough. I wanted the crust really thin and flaky, so I rolled this as thin as I could, while keeping its shape. Try to roll it our into a rectangular shape, so your poptarts are more uniform.


Next, squeeze about a cup of the jelly into a bowl. In another small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Make a paste (this brought me back to the days of making goop) and add this to the jelly. Stir well. It just helps thicken it up a bit.


Spread some of the jelly onto the pieces of crust. Don't overdo it, if the jelly comes out the sides baking it is a mess!



*Important step* I learned the hard way, you have to seal these well. I suggest getting a small cup of water, and dipping our finger in the water, rub it around all the seams of the dough. Then fold it over and press firmly to seal.  (Optional: Brush the tops with water (or egg whites) and sprinkle with white sugar.)


Be sure to let them cool before breaking into them, otherwise it will be an oozing mess of jelly. Otherwise they are pretty tasty. I was very pleased that the center of it actually looks like a poptart!

And finally, to get the full effect, mix some powdered sugar and a little milk together to make an icing and top with sprinkles! This one is too cute!

I am waiting on the husband to get home so we can have dinner, and I am literally drooling at this post as my stomach rumbles away! =) 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment