Monday, January 9, 2012

Whoopie Pies


I have seen whoopie pies a lot of places lately and I finally got the chance to try them for myself (twice actually!). The recipe I used both times and love is here. Both times I halved the recipe but I made a few tweeks. Both times I used more cocoa powder, just add and try to taste. The second time I had no buttermilk or vinegar to make it and the cakes still turned out great. Also I am just using Hershey's Cocoa Powder.  And I made my own filling mixture both times, a marshmallow and a marshmallow peanut butter!


You will need:
For cakes
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
Filling: See below!


For some reason, my camera is being stubborn and I only have a few photos of this. Jump on over to their website for the full instructions.

I used about an inch - inch and a half wide scoop. Any bigger and the pies are too big for a single serving!




They can out perfectly!



Now for the marshmallow creme in the middle:
Approx based on taste:
  • 4 tablespoons melted butter
  • Large jar of Marshmallow Creme (14 oz?)
  • Powdered Sugar
  • vanilla (optional)
  • Splash Milk
I melted the butter first and them added the marshmallow creme and microwaved again for about 30 seconds. Stir together well. Add about a 1/2 to 1 tsp of vanilla (optional) and combine. Now you need to add enough powdered sugar to thicken it, but be sure to taste as you go. You still want to marshmallow taste. Add milk if needed.


I recommend keeping the filling refrigerated until you want to make a pie. It is still pretty squishy and messy. If you make the pies together in advance, you could use the creme in frozen form, and I would keep the cakes in the fridge, to avoid a melty mess. But believe me, the taste is definitely worth the mess. If you want to PB creme just leave me a comment and I will add it! Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment