Sunday, August 5, 2012

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

The title sounds a bit hypocritical, but they are delicious and taste pretty darn good. I am sure the chocolate off-sets the zucchini, but I used dark chocolate which is good to have sometimes! I edited this recipe from From Which Things Grow.

Here's the line-up:






1 C flour
1/2 C Oatmeal Flour
1/2 C cocoa powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 C Vegetable oil
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 C grated zucchini 
1 C dark chocolate, small chunks or chips

*You can use the teaspoon of cinnamon but I think it messed with the chocolate flavor and I didn't like that!
 
(Ganache Glaze):
1/2 C heavy cream
1 C dark chocolate (or regular) chips
First you need to wash the zucchini. I got a giant one from a friend and it was pretty nice to use! I used my handy grater bowl from IKEA (thanks mom!) 


Don't grate the seeds. I did along all the edges until I hit the seeds/mushy part. You need two cups. You can drain some of the liquid, but not all. It keeps the muffins moist. (Also if you have a large zucchini like I did, you can chop the grated Z down so its not in such long strips.)


I decided to try something new and ground some oatmeal to use in place of the flour. I read you can do it about 50/50 but I did 1/2 cup oat flour and 1 cup AP flour. I ground some in my Magic Bullet until it was fine textured.


In a medium bowl mix together: flours, cocoa powder, b. soda, b.powder and salt.


In your mixing bowl combine oil, sugar and vanilla. (Wanted to try subbing in honey for part of the sugar but I didn't have enough)


Add the eggs one at a time and combine. Then add the zucchini and mix well.


Add the dry mixture to the wet. Scrape the sides and mix until combined. You can add the chocolate chips now.


Now you are ready to bake them. I used my homemade No Stick to grease the pans and the muffins came out like a charm! Mini muffins will cook 10-12 minutes, the large 15-17 minutes. 


Now, the first time I made these I didn't make the ganache and they really don't need it. But this time I wanted to try it. In a double boiler (or microwave) heat the heavy cream and c. chips together. Stir until the chips are almost completely melted. Take off the heat and stir until well combined. Then you can dip the muffins. I let them cool a couple of minutes.


& Delicious-ness! With some veggies hidden in! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment